Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 45: Wanting It Or Whying It?

First of all, I meant to post this last night but it wouldn't let me for some reason ...technical difficulties. I'm not slacking! lol

Wanting it or whying it? What I mean by this is that your reason why you are targeting a goal may be just as important, or even more important, than just setting the goal itself. When I started this blog I set out to lose 70 lbs for my wedding. Sounds just like every new years resolution that never made it past the first week doesn't it? Well recently I added some high octane fuel to the fire and that seems to be doing the trick! I wrote down why I'm doing this. And I don't mean, "for my wedding", I mean the feelings associated to myself attaining my goal. How amazing it's going to feel on that day, all of the things that I will be able to do that I struggle with now (Playing competitive hockey, etc.), inspiring others, and the list goes on. Get emotional. This has allowed me to push myself past those thoughts I get when I’m ready to give up. After 15 mintues of intense cardo, last night, I was ready to give up …then I started to think of “why” and I ended up going another 10 minutes! My heart rate was 170 BPM when I was done. Then I did lunges, biceps curls with more lunges, punched a heavy bag until my arms felt like they were going to fall off and squats.

Last night I hit the gym following the worst collapse of a Canadian hockey team in history. I was jaded. My old reaction would have to drink a few more beers, mow down some high calorie snacks and hit the sack. Instead, I took out my frustrations in the gym. It's getting easier every day to make that decision. I'm creating new neuroassociations, meaning, I am associating more good feelings to going to the gym than not going and thus I will ultimately successful.
Today I'll be doing the stairs and may even hit the gym too.

C'ya tonight!
dc

1 comment: